This course is delivered at various sites around Queensland and is delivered over a 2 day time frame. There is also the opportunity for learners who need a little more time to consolidate and demonstrate their skills to attend an extra day if required.
These units can be undertaken via RPL if you are currently working in an outdoor recreation environment and have access to experienced outdoor leaders with a qualification in Canoeing / Kayaking who would be willing to vouch for your skills.
SISSS00018 Canoeing Guide Flat Water Skill Set
Flat water canoeing is an excellent tool for outdoor leaders to help students learn teamwork, communication and problem solving skills. This course will provide (or give you a chance to refresh) the skills and knowledge required to guide a group of canoeists on flatwater.
As with all of our courses we pay special attention to how this activity can be used educationally by paying specific attention to teaching strategies, active reflection methods and how to help your group members transfer their learning to everyday life.
The course is run over 5 days and covers:
- basic skills of canoeing
- deep water rescues
- group management
- teaching and reflection strategies
This course will consist of:
- precourse work,
- attendance at a 3 day training course (Friday - Sunday),
- a project and practice to be undertaken in your own time and,
- a final 2 day overnight assessment weekend.
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- SISOCNE202A Perform deep water rescues
- SISONAV201A Demonstrate navigation skills in a controlled environment
- SISOCNE303A Apply canoeing skills
- SISOCNE305A Guide canoeing trips on flat and undemanding water
- SISOODR302A Plan outdoor recreation activities
- SISOODR303A Guide outdoor reecreation sessions
- SISOODR404A Manage risk in an outdoor activity
- SISOOPS201A Minimise enviromental impact
- SISOOPS304A Plan for minimal environmental impact
- SISOOPS306a Interpret weather conditions in the field
- SISXCAI006 Facilitate groups
- SISXEMR001 Respond to emergency situations
- SISXEMR002 Coordinate emergency responses
- SISXOHS101A Follow occupational health and safety policies
- SISXRSK301A Undertake risk analysis of activities
|Name||Location||Course Start Date||Course End Date||Cost|
|Canoeing Guide Flat Skill Set - Training Weekend||Tallebudgera & Tweed||13/09/2019||15/09/2019||$1,200.00|
|Canoeing Guide Flat Skill Set - Assessment Weekend (Overnight)||Tallebudgera & Tweed||09/11/2019||10/11/2019||$0.00|