This course is delivered on the Gold Coast and is delivered over 3 practical weekends.
It may be possible to obtain these units via RPL if you are currently working in an outdoor recreation environment, have extensive experiences and have access to experienced outdoor leaders with Climbing qualifications who would be willing to vouch for your skills.
Canoe Leader - Open, Flat and Grade 1 Water
Flat water canoeing is an excellent tool for outdoor leaders to help students learn teamwork, communication and problem solving skills. This course will provide (or give you a chance to refresh) the skills and knowledge to lead and supervise participants during canoeing activities on waterways that feature slow moving water conditions. It covers the skills required to adjust activities according to prevailing conditions and participant capabilities.
As with all of our courses we pay special attention to how this activity can be used educationally by paying specific attention to teaching strategies, active reflection methods and how to help your group members transfer their learning to everyday life.
The course is run over 7 days and covers:
- basic skills of canoeing
- leading a canoe group
- weather and environmental conditions
- teaching and reflection strategies
This course will consist of:
- precourse work,
- attendance at a 3 day training course (Friday - Sunday),
- a project and practice to be undertaken in your own time and,
- 2 x 2 day overnight assessment weekends.
- SISOCNE002 Paddle a canoe on inland flatwater
- SISOCNE003 Paddle a canoe on moving water up to grade 1 rivers
- SISOCNE005 Lead canoeing activities on inland flatwater
- SISOCNE006 Lead canoeing activities on moving water up to grade 1 rivers
- SISOFLD006 Navigate in tracked environments
- PUAOPE013 Operate communications systems and equipment
- SISOFLD002 Minimise environmental impact
- SISOPLN001 Finalise operation of outdoor recreation activities
- SISOPLN004 Identify hazards, assess and control risks for outdoor recreation activities
- SISOPLN005 Interpret weather and environmental conditions for outdoor recreation activities
- SISXEMR001 Respond to emergency situations
All Training Days are based at Tallebudgera OEEC and delivered around the southern end of the Gold Coast.
Assessments take place not more than about 1.5 hours from Tallebudgera OEEC at various locations throughout Northern NSW and Southeast QLD.
Participants on Canoe and Bushwalking courses need to attend an Assessment at Location 1 and an Assessment at Location 2 – please take this into consideration when enrolling in the courses. If you are unsure please contact us for assistance.
|Name||Location||Course Start Date||Course End Date||Cost|
|Canoe Leader - Open, Flat and Grade 1 Water - TRAINING WEEKEND||TBS||12/06/2020||14/06/2020||$1,200.00|
|Canoe Leader - Open, Flat and Grade 1 Water - ASSESSMENT WEEKEND (Overnight): Location 2||TBS||25/07/2020||26/07/2020||$0.00|
|Canoe Leader - Open, Flat and Grade 1 Water - ASSESSMENT WEEKEND (Overnight): Location 1||TBS||15/08/2020||16/08/2020||$0.00|
|Canoe Leader - Open, Flat and Grade 1 Water - TRAINING WEEKEND||TBS||21/08/2020||23/08/2020||$1,200.00|
|Canoe Leader - Open, Flat and Grade 1 Water - ASSESSMENT WEEKEND (Overnight): Location 1||TBS||12/09/2020||13/09/2020||$0.00|
|Canoe Leader - Open, Flat and Grade 1 Water - ASSESSMENT WEEKEND (Overnight): Location 2||TBS||10/10/2020||11/10/2020||$0.00|
|Canoe Leader - Open, Flat and Grade 1 Water - TRAINING WEEKEND||TBS||20/11/2020||22/11/2020||$1,200.00|